Healthy lifestyle habits among Laval seniors
In Laval, 71% of people aged 65 and over do not engage in the physical activities required to reap health benefits.
The Maintien de l’Autonomie et de la Santé chez les Ainés à Laval (MASA) program is an introductory program to physical activity for autonomous seniors who would like to be more active in their community. This program was set up by Groupe Promo Santé Laval (GPSL), a community group working with seniors.
Socializing through fun and physical activities
To date, MASA has 602 participants and 48 groups.
The program offers:
- Recognized and effective activity sessions to encourage regular physical activity
- Social participation among seniors, particularly with the Viactive program, which is aimed at people aged 65 and over who are in various physical conditions
- Diversified programming, according to their physical condition, allowing them to discover activities to be integrated into their lifestyle, such as walking with sticks, tai chi, indoor or outdoor aerobics and aquafitness.
- Free or very low-cost activity sessions in Laval, in community organizations, seniors’ associations and Laval residences.
Meaningful figures since 2015!
The MASA program increases the participation of seniors in new physical activities at an average rate of 2.3 sessions per week and contributes to maintaining or improving performance on physical tests by 3 to 13%, for 8 of the 9 physical fitness measures evaluated.
This pilot project has been well established for three years and is funded until March 2019 by the Québec Ami des Aînés (QADA) program.
- In order to keep up the momentum and ensure that these good lifestyle habits continue, we are looking for new sources of funding for the next 5 years for an amount of $50,000 per year.
- Reduce the number of hospital visits
- Reduce the burden on caregivers
- For greater independence, a sense of accomplishment and joie de vivre among seniors
A commitment of $250,000 over 5 years to maintain the program through the hiring of a kinesiology resource and the development of advertising tools and promotional activities.